Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thai Basil Shrimp

I make this recipe on a weekly basis and it's Annabelle's standard for shrimp, so I thought it was time to post the recipe.  Annabelle is my picky eater (she's the first, so I'm sure that's my fault).  My mom claims she gets it from me, so I know that she'll grow out of it.  However, it took me 21 years to grow out of it. We'll see how she does. . .



Thai Basil Shrimp (Adapted from 365: No Repeats by Rachel Ray)

Ingredients:
4 tbls. canola oil or olive oil

1/2 head of cabbage, core removed, shredded finely
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
salt and coarse ground pepper
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced (or grated if you prefer)
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup low-sodium tamari (aged soy sauce)
3 tbls. honey
20 fresh basil leaves, torn or shredded


Directions:
1. Saute the red peppers and cabbage with olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan on med-high until soft and fragrant.  
2. While the veggies are cooking, clean and dry shrimp, then season with salt and pepper.  Remove the veggies to a plate and 2 tablespoons of oil and add shrimp in a single layer.  You don't want shrimp all on top of one another, but they should have their own space to come into contact with the hot pan.  You want to get a good sear on the shrimp to get the best flavor. For medium size shrimp, I flip them when they just start to turn pink (1-2 minutes), then cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes more.  Now bring the red peppers and cabbage back to the pan.  Add the tamari and honey to form a sauce to glaze the veggies and shrimp.  Throw in the basil and you're done!

Oh man, I love shrimp!  This is right after they are initially seared!

Note - I usually serve this with white rice for the kiddos and I, but Alain uses romaine leaves and puts the concoction in the middle of the leaves like tacos so that he can consider this meal fully Paleo.

2 comments:

  1. This looks AWESOME. I'm definitely trying this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we don't usually "waste" shrimp on the kids, but this looks amazing and easy!! i might even use this for an upcoming dinner party. and i for sure have plenty of basil to go around!!

    ReplyDelete