Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 5: Acorn Squash Muffins

These muffins define comfort food in my world.  I, literally, make them at least once a week and I make them with either fresh pumpkin (when available) or acorn squash.  The hubby and I have gotten so accustomed to the taste of the acorn squash that we don't usually bother trying the pumpkin.  This recipe is based on a pumpkin bread recipe from Alton Brown, but I've altered it a little bit with a recipe that I've used since middle school for zucchini bread. 


I actually wanted to make something new today, so I first made a recipe for pumpkin apple muffins.  I saw great reviews and I made a few changes (applesauce instead of oil and cut back the sugar), but they turned out 'blah.'  So, knowing that my kids would prefer to eat the yummy acorn squash chocolate chip muffins, I made a batch of these this morning.  I'm glad I branched out to try a new recipe, but it obviously needs a little tweaking to be up to par with my very favorite muffins.

Here's the recipe for the good muffins!

Acorn Squash Chocolate Chip Muffins (slightly adapted from Alton Brown's Pumpkin Bread)

Ingredients:
2 c. white whole wheat or all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 cups shredded fresh pumpkin (can substitute zucchini, acorn squash (my fav.) or any other squash)
1/2 bag mini-chocolate chips (I usually mix mini with dark chocolate chips)
Cinnamon-sugar (optional for tops of muffins)

Directions:
Set oven to 350 F.  Sift dry ingredients into small bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients with the wet in large bowl (don't over mix - so use a large spoon), and then fold in shredded pumpkin.  The amount can be as little as 1 1/2 cups of shredded pumpkin to 3 cups, but I think it tastes best with 3 cups (that's half a shredded acorn squash).  Add chocolate chips until just incorporated.  Grease muffin tins liberally and fill cups just to the top (I use a 1/4 cup to scoop it).  Sprinkle tops of muffins with cinnamon sugar.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Should yield 12-15 muffins. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't include that, but I bake them for 20-25 minutes.

      Delete
  2. Sarah - how do you shred the acorn squash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shredding the acorn squash takes some time. I cut in in half, gut it, then slice it into small crescent shapes (following the natural lines of the squash). Then, I peel the outside skin. Finally, I use a cheese grater and shred the acorn squash. I don't make these with acorn squash much anymore because it's just too much work.

    ReplyDelete